Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Racism? and General Discontent

1)
This Fall 2007 there are going to be 27,000 students enrolled at UCSD. I'm guessing 1% of them or less are African American. That's 'interesting' when you consider that African Americans make up about 8% of the population of San Diego. Aaaaa.... I guess we're not reflecting the community, yet (2007).

2)
No one, including criminals, should be treated like 'slaves'. Also, people who are in jail, are not 'just crazy'. Some of them are ill, and some of them are desperate. Desperation leads people to do desperate things, and 'desperation' has a lot of causes. Desperation, and some illness, can be prevented and remedied, but as someone once told me 'prevention is not sexy' and no one cares about remedies.

By the way, thanks is owed to a new friend for teaching me about the 13th amendment. It says: Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, ***except as a punishment for crime*** whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction. Well, shucks, why are we worried about torturing Gitmo prisoners when all along we've been allowed to treat them like slaves and indentured servants? --- Oh, I guess Gitmo prisoners have not been duly convicted by our fair and completely unbiased justice system, yet. Right.

3)
I reserve the right to talk about racism even though I'm lily white and female. Sorry if that makes you uncomfortable.

4)
I consider myself an indentured servant to the banks and collection companies that hold my student loans. Oh, I know I should be grateful for for the fact that they allowed me to go to school. Thanks banks. Can you lower my interest rate now?

No comments: