Friday, September 7, 2007

The First of Many

San Diego needs voices, and I'm just one of many possible, but I think I have a perspective worth sharing. I'm not from here, but who is? I grew up in Nebraska and came out here for graduate school. I've now lived here almost seven years, though I did a brief stint in LA, but got drawn back (like many). The more time I spend in San Diego the more she opens up to me. Let's face it, this can be an alienating town. A lot of people who move here experience a kind of culture shock they were never expecting, because this place is like no other. For one thing, it sits on one of the largest border crossings in the world, it lives in the shadow of Los Angeles and Hollywood, it's rubbing elbows with some of the richest communities in the country, and sharing art-culture-cuisine and language with it's Southern neighbors (Mexico and beyond). It also takes lessons from immigrants from all over the world, including a huge population of Somali and Ethiopian peoples. San Diego is fusion. That's its blessing and its curse, because all those voices echoing about the endless sunny freeways make people feel a bit disenfranchised. That's my opinion anyway, and that is what this blog is, just my opinion. If you have a different opinion, you should share, because like I said before San Diego needs voices.

This blog is going to be about what I think makes this city great, hard, unwelcoming, and beautiful. It's going to be about art in San Diego, film in San Diego, and culture in San Diego. I'm going to write about all the things I love: inde film, local art, local music, great stores, restaurants, venues, people, poetry. Let's get to it already.

1 comment:

Girl in the Sun said...

I'm commenting on my own post, because I left something important out... that is the fact that this town developed from the military. I think where UCSD is now was actually once part of a military base.