Tuesday, October 23, 2007

San Diego is Burning

I'm so sorry for everyone in San Diego that has lost their home.

I've been listening to KPBS 89.5FM... At least I was listening to 89.5FM until this morning when I woke up and learned their transmitter was destroyed in the fire and they were off the air. Fortunately in some kind of amazing gesture of goodwill 94.9FM (usually a rock station) let KPBS take over their airwaves! Bravo! Bravo! I liked both stations before, but I like them even more now, though the commercial interruptions are making for some strange moments.

There have been some funny moments too... My favorites so far are Mayor Jerry Sanders while giving a speech listing all the corporate donors says, "...and my personal favorite, Krispy Kream... What can I say, I'm a cop!"

Then yesterday one reporter describing flames in the distance while in the strip-mall parking lot where he is standing two big horses (who have been temporarily stabled there) munch on fancy shrubbery... and the reporter on the other end says, "Tell them to munch fast!"---A dark reference to the impossible amount of dry shrubbery fueling this crazy fire. It is a little light in the darkness.

Anyway I'm inspired by the way people in San Diego seem to be coming together, even though 513,000 people have been evacuated from their homes. Hopefully this will be over soon.

No comments: