Sunday, January 13, 2008

Art in San Diego

I have to get this off my chest: I've been lazy about this blog. I'm sorry! I suffer from a never ending sense of guilt when I fail to get things art related done. I have Kansas City Art Institute to thank for that ting of neurosis.

Moving on. I went to Ray at Night last night, and had a blast. Not so much because of the art, but because there were a lot of people there who were interested in seeing, and I'm assuming supporting art in San Diego.

The Rubber Rose had some interesting paintings by Eric Wixon in their gallery, and I've got to say I'm really feeling The Rubber Rose these days. They are making quite a splash with their little sex-store. That's right it's a "sensuality boutique". What's more important though, is that they support a "healthy and joyous exploration of sex and sexuality..." and that's awesome, not to mention brave in this community.

I've got to give Ray at Night some props, I've heard some negative stuff about the quality of the work exhibited, but I think that's uncalled for. Whatever the quality of the work, would we prefer no work be exhibited? I don't think so. It's a nice little scene, a good place to people watch, and enjoy enjoying art. Remember that feeling, way back when, when you enjoyed art? I'm trying to bring that back, like Justin brought sexy back. Thank You!

North Park was bumping last night. It felt a bit like the West Bottoms in Kansas City. That's an area of Kansas City that was the epitome of urban blight, but was reborn as artists moved into the neighborhood and opened galleries. Of course, real estate in Kansas City is relatively inexpensive compared to San Diego, and that is the single biggest factor in the struggle for a thriving art community in San Diego. It's about the cost of living, and the cost of owning property. If I had money, I'd be investing in the City Heights area of San Diego and starting a gallery. I think City Heights is next on the gentrification list, hopefully when it happens, and it will, City Heights will retain its flavor.

That's all for now... Next: Film Comes to SD, grassroots style.

1 comment:

dh said...

Glad to hear you're enjoying the art in SD. : )